The Bachelor of Science (Hons) Biotechnology is designed to develop students with a strong foundation of knowledge and practical skills that are sought after in the changing world of biotechnology.
This programme provides an understanding of, and the practical skills behind the use of biologically derived materials for a multitude of applications. Such materials include microorganisms (e.g. bacteria, yeast, algae) and materials derived from them and other biological sources (e.g. enzymes, protein, DNA). These applications focus on three core areas, namely agriculture productions, industrial manufacturing, and human health.
Industrial Training and Undergraduate Project which link students directly to the industry and leading-edge research are some of the added features of this programme, giving it a practical hands-on approach.
Accredited by the Malaysia Board of Technologists (MBOT) and fulfilled the Technology and Technical Accreditation Council (TTAC) 2019. Graduates are qualified to apply for Graduate Technologist membership with MBOT.
- STPM Grade C (GPA 2.00) in any two (2) subjects
- Diploma CGPA of 2.00
- STAM Jayyid
- UEC Grade B in five (5) subjects including Mathematics and one science subject;
- Foundation/ Matriculation CGPA of 2.00
- A-LEVEL Pass with Grade D in any two (2) subjects and possess O-Level with three (3) credits including Mathematics, one science subject and one any other subject
- Australian Matriculation ATAR 65 including Mathematics and one science subject
- International Baccalaureate Diploma Programme (IB) 24 points across six subjects including Mathematics and Science
Specific requirements at SPM level can be waived should the grades obtained at the STPM / STAM / Diploma / Matriculation / Foundation are equivalent or higher.
- A-Level with minimum of Grade D in any two (2) subjects, or its equivalent; and possess O-Level with three (3) credits in Mathematics, one science subject and one any other subject, or its equivalent; AND
- Achieve a minimum score of 5.0 in International English Language Testing System (IELTS) OR Band 3 in Malaysian University English Test (MUET) OR its equivalent.
English Competency Requirements
All international students are bound to the English Competency requirement set by the University and the Malaysian Qualification Agency except those who are:
- From countries where English is the official language; OR
- From an academic institution which uses English as its main medium of instruction.
- Biochemistry I
- Biology of Organisms
- Computer Fundamentals and Programming
- Introduction to Biotechnology
- Hubungan Etnik (Malaysian Student)
- Communicative Malay 2 (International Student)
- Co-Curriculum 1
- English for Academic Writing
- Biochemistry II
- Cell and Molecular Biology
- English for Research Writing
- Cell and Tissue Culture
- Food Microbiology
- Genetic Engineering
- Environmental Biotechnology or Microbial Biotechnology (Elective)
- English for Occupational Purposes
- Tamadun Islam dan Tamadun Asia (Malaysian Student)
- Malaysian Studies 3 (International Student)
- Co-Curriculum 2
- Public Speaking Skills
- Enzyme Technology
- Animal Biotechnology or Marine Biotechnology (Elective)
- Plant Biotechnology or Food Biotechnology (Elective)
- Principles of Entrepreneurship
- Bahasa Kebangsaan A*
- Bioethics & Biosafety
- Medical Biotechnology or Pharmaceutical Biotechnology (Elective)
- Undergraduate Project I
- Bioreactor Design
- Current Topics in Biotechnology
- Industrial Biotechnology or Fermentation Technology (Elective)
- Undergraduate Project II
- Industrial Training???????