Overview of Bachelor of Science hons in Actuarial Studies in Asia Pacific University of Technology & Innovation Malaysia
This programme is specifically designed to provide students with:
- A course of study in Actuarial Science which has been awarded full accreditation from the IFoA (UK).
- Competent teaching staff with professional or specialized academic qualification, possessing working experience from actuarial industries/academia.
- Course syllabus which is comprehensively structured in tandem and compliance with the 2 biggest actuarial bodies, the IFoA (UK) and the SOA (US).
- Comprehensive guidance to mould graduates to be industry-ready.
Equipping students with essential fundamentals of Mathematics, Statistics, Economics and Finance starts at Level 1. To complement the core knowledge, the students will also learn Business, Communication, and IT skills, before progressing to the Level 2 of Actuarial Science study.
- Probability Models
- Linear Algebra
- Business and Communication Skills
- Financial Accounting
- Introduction to R Programming
- Advanced Probability Models
The core knowledge of Mathematics and Statistics now act as engine to drive the complex models of Economics and Finance in the actuarial industries. Those core knowledge are integrated to form actuarial tools and infrastructure, ready to be used for planning and managing purposes. Students will receive exposure and coaching which are actuarial centric, targeting at industrial applications. They are gradually groomed to be more independent in their study and research efforts.
- Asset and Liability Valuations
- Financial Statement Analysis
- Predictive Analytics
- Financial Mathematics
- Calculus II
- Regression Analysis
- Financial Economics
- Financial Planning and Control
- Business Research Methods
- Financial Management
- Business Ethics & Governance
- Mathematics of Financial Derivatives
Students will undertake a short Internship/ Industrial Training for a minimum period of 16 weeks to prepare them for a smooth transition from the classroom to the working environment.
The students are now ready to merge their knowledge and industrial experience to forge ahead and put into action their acquired skills in planning, managing and analyzing risk. At this level, emphasis is placed on evaluating financial performance of businesses from actuary’s perspectives. Students will have the opportunity to understand the critical roles played by actuaries, for example, in the development and pricing of insurance products. Risk Management, Actuarial Modeling and Ratemaking are some of a wide repertoire of skills to be used.
- Stochastic Processes
- Life Contigencies
- Strategic Management
- Corporate Finance
- Risk Theory
- Investigation in Actuarial Studies
- Option and Bond Valuations
- Survival Analysis
- Life Contingencies 2
- Pension and Retirement Plans
- Project in Actuarial Studies
MQA Compulsory Subjects*
- Ethnic Relations (M’sian Students)
- Islamic & Asian Civilisation (M’sian Students)
- Malaysian Studies (Int’l Students)
- Malay Communication Language (Int’l Students)
- Workplace Professional Communication Skills
- Employee & Employment Trends
|DIRECT ENTRY TO LEVEL 1 OF THE DEGREE:
||• 2 Passes in STPM with a minimum Grade C+ (GP 2.33) and a Credit in Mathematics and a Pass in English at SPM Level or its equivalent.
||• 2 Passes in A-Level in any 2 subjects, and a Credit in Mathematics and a Pass in English at SPM/O-Level/IGCSE or its equivalent.
||• 5 Grade B’s in UEC including Mathematics with a Pass in English.
||• Passed Foundation programme (minimum CGPA of 2.5) with a Credit in Mathematics and a Pass in English at SPM/O-Level/IGCSE or equivalent.
ENGLISH LANGUAGE REQUIREMENTS
• IELTS : 6.0
• TOEFL IBT : 60-78
• Pearson (PTE) : 50
• MUET : Band 4