Overview of Doctor of philosophy in Medical and Health Sciences in International Medical University (IMU) Malaysia
A doctorate in Medical & Health Sciences (by research) provides a solid platform for aspiring students to build a name for themselves in the pursuit of scientific progress. There will be opportunities for students to present their research findings in international conferences, where they will also meet other famous scientists or researchers. Research is very much dependent on grants and funding support. As a medical and health sciences university, IMU has built credible partnerships with government bodies and private foundations in collaboration with other elite universities to pursue meaningful research in the health sciences arena. Today, IMU Faculty attracts first-class teaching staff from Malaysia and abroad, fostering a broad range of active research programmes in its campuses in Bukit Jalil and Seremban. Much of its success stems from the Faculty’s capacity to attract external research funds via its strong national and international connections. IMU staff have a strong record of major international contributions in their respective fields and are very experienced in supervising postgraduate students. Some of our alumni have also been successful in securing placements as research fellows in various institutions in Malaysia as well as Germany, Taiwan and so on. At IMU, students will have access to the current literature including online databases to keep abreast with the latest development in research. Students will not only be exposed to the latest techniques and equipment but also be trained in using various tools, for instance software and algorithm in data analysis.
The areas of research expertise of the IMU faculty are as follows
- Cancer / Oncology
- Environmental Health
- Toxicology / Molecular Biology / Biotechnology
- Clinical Research
- Infectious Diseases
- Pharmaceutical Sciences
- Chronic Diseases
- Community Health
- Building-Related Illnesses
- Human and Medical Genetics
The selection of supervisor(s) will depend very much on the research area and be based on mutual agreement between both parties. The principal supervisor must be engaged within IMU whereas a co-supervisor can be from any established institution. All supervisors are subject to the credentialling guidelines of IMU.
A. ACADEMIC REQUIREMENTS
B. ENGLISH LANGUAGE REQUIREMENTS
Applicants are required to have obtained:
- A Master’s Degree accepted by the HEP Senate; or.
- Other qualifications equivalent to a Master’s degree that are accepted by the HEP Senate.
i) There shall be no direct entry from Bachelors degree level to Doctoral degree level.
ii) Candidates with Bachelors degree who are registered for Master’s degree programmes may apply to convert their candidacy to the doctoral degree programmes within ONE (1) year after Master’s degree registration, subjected to:
a) having shown competency and capability in conducting research at Doctoral degree level
b) rigorous internal evaluation by the HEP
c) approval by the HEP Senate.
For Malaysian Students
For International Students
- IELTS : Band score 5.0; or
- TOEFL (iBT) : Overall score of 42; or
- Cambridge English : Advanced (CAE) : Overall score of 154; or
- Cambridge English : Proficiency (CPE) : Overall score of 154; or
- Cambridge Linguaskill : Overall score of 160; or
- Pearson Test of English (PTE) : Overall score of 47;
The following categories of students are exempted from the above requirements:
- International students from countries in which English is the first language.
- International students who graduated from any Malaysian or other institutions where the curriculum is delivered in English.