Overview of Master of Science (MSc) in Medical and Health Sciences in International Medical University (IMU) Malaysia
In line with the nation’s push for developed status, there will be increasing demand for candidates with postgraduate qualification to drive the country to the next level of development.
Postgraduate research opens up whole new pathways for students to grow and develop themselves as they are able study and specialise in their areas of interest. There will be opportunities for students to present their research findings in international conferences, where they will also meet other famous scientists or researchers.
The IMU Faculty attracts first-class teaching staff from Malaysia and abroad, fostering a broad range of active research programmes in its campuses in Bukit Jalil and Seremban.
Much of its success stems from the Faculty’s capacity to attract external research funds via its strong national and international connections. IMU staff have a strong record of major international contributions in their respective fields and are very experienced in supervising postgraduate students. Some of our alumni have also been successful in securing placements as research fellows in various institutions in Malaysia as well as Germany, Taiwan and so on.
At IMU, students will have access to the current literature including online databases to keep abreast with the latest development in research. Students will not only be exposed to the latest techniques and equipment but also be trained in using various tools, for instance software and algorithm in data analysis.
The areas of research expertise of the IMU faculty are as follows
- Cancer / Oncology
- Environmental Health
- Toxicology / Molecular Biology / Biotechnology
- Clinical Research
- Infectious Diseases
- Pharmaceutical Sciences
- Chronic Diseases
- Community Health
- Building-Related Illnesses
- Human and Medical Genetics
The selection of supervisor(s) will depend very much on the research area and be based on mutual agreement between both parties. The principal supervisor must be engaged within IMU whereas a co-supervisor can be from any established institution. All supervisors are subject to the credentialling guidelines of IMU.
A. ACADEMIC REQUIREMENTS
B. ENGLISH LANGUAGE REQUIREMENTS
Applicants are required to have obtained:
- A bachelor’s degree with minimum CGPA of 2.75 or equivalent, as accepted by the HEP Senate; or
- A bachelor’s degree or equivalent with minimum CGPA of 2.50 and not meeting CGPA of 2.75, can be accepted subject to rigorous internal assessment; or
- A bachelor’s degree or equivalent not meeting CGPA of 2.50, can be accepted subject to a minimum of 5 years working experience in relevant field.
- Applicants with the appropriate experience will be given priority of selection.
For Malaysian Students
For International Students
- IELTS : Band score 5.0; or
- TOEFL (iBT) : Overall score of 42; or
- Cambridge English : Advanced (CAE) : Overall score of 154; or
- Cambridge English : Proficiency (CPE) : Overall score of 154; or
- Cambridge Linguaskill : Overall score of 160; or
- Pearson Test of English (PTE) : Overall score of 47;
The following categories of students are exempted from the above requirements:
- International students from countries in which English is the first language.
- International students who graduated from any Malaysian or other institutions where the curriculum is delivered in English.