Overview of Master of Philosophy (MPhil) in HELP University Malaysia
About this course
The HELP Master of Philosophy (MPhil) aims to deliver an interdisciplinary education in Business Administration and equip students to enter a career as a profession in their field or continue their studies to complete a PhD or a DBA.
The HELP MPhil is a supervised research and is assessed on the basis of one (1) Statistics for Research and two (2) methodological courses and a written dissertation. The three (3) courses are Statistics for Data Analysis, Qualitative Research and Quantitative Research methodological courses. The HELP MPhil involves the systematic acquisition and understanding of a substantial disciplinary field of area or area of professional practice in Business and Economics. Business includes but not limited to Accounting, Finance, Human Resources, Organisational Development/Organisation Behaviour, Sales, Marketing, Operations, Governance and Ethics, International Business, Entrepreneurship, Strategy.
During HELP MPhil programme progression, students will be provided with a one to one mode of supervision and are also expected to complement their learning by research seminars and specialised subjects in their area of research to expand their field knowledge and methodological skills-set further by participating in relevant courses offered by the ELMGS or attending appropriate courses or workshops offered in other universities
Course Structure of Master of Philosophy (MPhil) in HELP University Malaysia
Students will attend three (3) mandatory courses within six (6) months upon admission to lay the foundation from which they will develop advanced research skills starting with a non-graded course in Statistics for Data Analysis and two (2) research methodology courses which will be assessed via both formative and summative assessment tasks.
Upon completion of the coursework, students will undertake a dissertation of approximately 40,000 words, of which they will report on an independent, sustained and supervised research project investigating an approved specialised topic. The dissertation will be assessed via external examination of the research dissertation alone.
Entry Requirements of Master of Philosophy (MPhil) in HELP University Malaysia
- A Bachelor’s degree in business or related field or equivalent from HELP University; or
- A Bachelor’s degree with a CGPA of 2.50 and above but less than 2.75, or equivalent from HELP University or a recognised university are subject to approval by the Dean of the School in consultation with the Academic Programme Director;
- Other qualifications equivalent to a bachelor’s degree with a minimum of 5 years working experience in relevant field that are subject to rigorous internal assessment acceptable by the Senate;
- Students are also expected to submit a preliminary research proposal as part of the application and undergo a personal interview with a faculty member. The preliminary research proposal should outline the rationale, objectives, issues, methodology and potential contribution and timeline to complete. It should be no less than 1,000 words.
- International applicants are required to fulfil a minimum score of 6.0 for International English Language Testing System (IELTS) or the equivalent.
Students’ application will be assessed to determine their eligibility, the area of research is within the School’s area of research focus and suitable supervision and resources are available.