Overview of Diploma in Computer Science in Universiti Tenaga Nasional UNITEN Malaysia
The Department of Foundation and Diploma Studies (CCI-FDS) offers Diploma in Computer Science (DCS), Foundation in Computer Science (FCS) and Foundation in Information Technology (FIT) programmes. The department is equipped with sufficient computers and physics laboratories. All the laboratories are air-conditioned and equipped with the state-of-the-art equipment. Laboratory classes are conducted either by lecturers themselves or tutors, who are closely supervised by the lecturers.
Students taking Diploma in Computer Science are exposed to a variety of subjects that enable them to either join the workforce or continue with the degree programme, upon graduation. Among the subjects to be undertaken under this diploma are Introduction to Programming, Malaysian Studies, Web Programming, Computer Organization, Multimedia Technologies, Software Engineering, etc. Students will also be doing Final Year project, closely supervised by lecturers and be given the chance to experience working in the industry via Industrial Training programme.
With such a wide and comprehensive coverage, students graduated with Diploma in Computer Science are given the freedom to choose any related Bachelor programmes (either Computer Science or Information Technology), should they decided to purse with their studies.
90 credit hours of subjects are being taught in seven semesters. This Diploma in Computer Science programme can be completed in 2 ¼ years.
- Algebra and Calculus
- Statistic for Computer Science
- English for Diploma
- Leadership and Entrepreneurship
- Pengajian Malaysia 2
- IT Communication
- PC Maintenance and Troubleshooting
- Introduction to Programming and Problem Solving Techniques
- Programming 1
- Pengajian Islam dan Kemasyarakatan / Pendidikan Moral dan Kemasyarakatan
- No subject
- Web Programming
- System Analysis and Design
- Discrete Structures
- System Administration
- Fundamentals of Software Engineering
- Computer Organization
- Programming 2
- Multimedia Technologies
- Data Communication and Computer Networks
- Data Structures and Algorithms
- Industrial Training
- Database Systems
- Object-oriented Programming
- Fundamentals of Operating Systems
- Technical Elective
Subject marked (*) is required for Malaysian students only.
For Malaysian Students:
- SPM (Sijil Pelajaran Malaysia) / SPMV
Pass SPM / SPMV or equivalent with minimum credits (grade C) in 3 subjects including Mathematics.
Pass O-Level with minimum credit (grade C) in 3 subjects including Mathematics from institution recognised by Government of Malaysia.
- IGCSE (International General Certificate of Secondary Education)
Pass IGCSE with minimum credit (grade C) in 3 subjects including Mathematics from institution recognised by Government of Malaysia.
- UEC (Unified Examination Certificate)
Pass UEC with minimum Grade B in 3 subjects including Mathematics and any Science / Technical / Vocational and Pass English.
- STPM (Sijil Tinggi Pelajaran Malaysia)
Pass STPM with minimum Grade C in 1 subject and credit (grade C) in Mathematics in SPM.
- STAM (Sijil Tinggi Agama Malaysia)
Pass STAM with minimum Grade of MAQBUL and credit (grade C) in Mathematics in SPM.
- Sijil Kemahiran MARA (Level 3)
Pass SKM Level 3 in related field and pass SPM with minimum credit (grade C) in Mathematics.
- Certificate in Community College
Pass with MQF Level 3 in related field and pass SPM with minimum credit (grade C) in Mathematics.
Other equivalent qualifications recognised by Government of Malaysia.
For Malaysian Students:
No additional English requirement for this programme.
For International Students:
International students are required to have English one of the proficiency score stated below to enrol in UNITEN. Diploma students who do not fulfill this English requirement are required to sit for the Intensive English Programme (IEP) and pass the requirement below before starting their Diploma programme.
- MUET – Malaysia University English Test
Achieve Band 3
- IELTS – International English Language Testing System
- TOEFL - Test of English as a Foreign Language
Achieve 500 (TOEFL) or 42 (TOEFL Internet Based Test)
These are popular career choices after graduation for this programme. There are also many other career choices beyond computing, which are proven adaptable by UNITEN students due to holistic personal and professional skills development during the study.
- Computer & Network Researcher
- Computer Programmer
- Embedded System Programmer
- Forensics Investigator / Analyst
- Information Security Officer
- JAVA/ J2EE/ PHP/ .NET Developer
- Mobile Application Developer
- Penetration Tester / Vulnerability Assessor
- Secure Software Developer
- Security Administrator
- Security Analyst
- Security Auditor
- Security Consultant
- Security Engineer
- Security Incident Responder
- Software Developer
- Software Engineer
- Software Quality Assurance
- Software Tester
- Solutions Architect
- System Administrator
- System Integrator
- System / Network Engineer
- System / Network Administrator
- System / Network Consultant
- Technical Consultant
- Web Developer.