Overview of Bachelor of Materials Engineering with Honours in Universiti Teknologi Petronas UTP Malaysia
Materials Engineering involves investigating the relationships that exist between the structures and properties of materials. Based on these structure-property correlations, a Materials Engineer will be able to design or engineer the structure of a material to produce a predetermined set of properties. Ultimately the role of a Materials Engineer is called upon to create new products or systems using existing materials and/or to develop techniques for processing materials.
Materials Engineering is a broad-based engineering programme that emphasizes strong fundamentals in Mathematics and Engineering principles.
This programme prepares graduates for industry specific needs through specialization elective packages offered in the final year, as well as lifelong learning and independent study skills through design courses, final year projects and adjunct lecture series.
Students will be exposed to team-based and practical problem solving through Engineering Team Project (ETP), Final Year Projects (FYP I & II), Engineering Design Projects (MECP I & II) and our unique 7-month Student Industrial Internship Programme (SIT & SIP).
Students of this programme will also be aware of environmental, social, political, ethical and economic constraints through humanities, management and social science electives.
In addition to the above courses, students may further develop their engineering knowledge through one of the Core Specialisations as follows:
- Advanced Computational and Modelling of Materials
- Degradation and Failure of Materials
Fees Structure of Studying Material Engineering in Malaysia
The third-safest nation in Asia is Malaysia, the fees of Material Engingeering in Malaysia is also the fourth-most affordable for foreign students. Malaysia is one of the most reasonably priced and student-friendly study abroad destinations when compared to European and American nations.
See the list below for an idea of how much studying Material Engineering at each level of study can cost you in Malaysia. (Public and private universities are included in the pricing range)
- Foundation – around RM 18,000
- Diploma – RM 1,200 to RM 42,000
- Bachelor’s degree – RM 5,600 to RM 180,000
- Master’s degree – RM 3,000 to RM 278,000
Type of Expense
Application and Visa Fee
Varies (3000 to 6000)
250 to 500 per year
Exam fee – IELTS / TOEFL
170 TO 250
Admin fee of University
5000 to 8000
Malaysia's Cost of Living
The following is an estimated amount needed to cover living expenses in Malaysia:
Type of Expenditure
Cost (in MYR, per month)
Accommodation and utilities
500 to 800
borod and supplies
400 to 500
Phone and internet
35 to 60
100 to 300
Books and Supplies
Entry Requirements of Bachelor of Materials Engineering with Honours in Universiti Teknologi Petronas UTP Malaysia
Eligibility Requirement for Material Engineering in Malaysia
Candidates can pursue a degree in materials science at the undergraduate, graduate, and doctoral levels. The prerequisites for all levels of materials science courses are listed below:
- UG Level- Candidates must get an overall grade point average of between 50% and 60% on the Class 12 Science exam.
- PG Level- Candidates should graduate, especially in materials science, with an overall grade point average of at least 50% to 60%.
- PhD Level- Candidates must earn at least 60% to 75% of the possible points in their post-graduate materials science or related coursework. Candidates who passed the GATE exam (with a minimum score of 90 to 95%) or the CSIR UGC NET exam and had mathematics as a required subject in their undergraduate studies are also eligible to apply.
Student Visa to Study in Malaysia Requirements:
A valid student visa is necessary for international students from various countries who want to study material engineering in Malaysia.
The steps to apply for a student visa are described in further detail below.
- How to apply: A university can assist with the application for a student visa to study in Malaysia.
- Visa and application fees: Varies between universities
- Total time required to obtain a student visa: 45 to 60 days