Overview of Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) in Design in City University Malaysia
The Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) in Design is aimed at exploring new ideas, approaches and procedures to the theories and practices of creative design and media. Critically and innovatively armed with the ability to think beyond norms, anchored with powerful research methods in design and procedures, this programme critically challenges human minds to make significant and original contribution to the existing body of knowledge or as new knowledge. This would help to the growth of a range of economic activities which are concerned with the generation or exploitation of knowledge and information. Creative design attributes are becoming more and more diversified and are nowadays exist in many sectors of creative industry and businesses. Students may pursue their research work in various different fields of design practices and activities ranging from service designers, social designers, communication designers and product designers. The programme offers the opportunities to work the experienced supervisory in creative and innovative design research team in areas of creative industry. This effort and conceptual exploration with technology, strategic design thinking, aesthetics and conceptual dynamics of effective communication towards more sustainable futures.
- Master's Degree in Design or equivalent as accepted by the University Senate; or
- Other Master's Degree or equivalent that can be accepted subject to rigorous internal assessment with the approval of City University Senate; or
- Bachelor in Design or equivalent from University recognized by the Malaysian Government with CGPA not less than 3.70; or
- Has enrolled for a Master's program and presented a research proposal and has been granted a Senate approval to upgrade the Master's Research Proposal to the PhD Program; or
- Other qualifications equivalent to a master degree that are accepted by the University's Senate; and
- Candidates are required to submit an initial/mini idea paper as part of the application process