Overview of Bachelor of Science (Hons) Architecture in Universiti Tunku Abdul Rahman UTAR Malaysia
The Bachelor of Science (Honours) Architecture provides students with a strong foundation which equips them well to work in a semi-professional capacity in architecture or related fields in the building industry.
The programme has been designed with the objectives of providing sound knowledge an architectural design and building construction, architectural detailing, transferable skills in presentations and IT, as well as the development of analytical and creative thinking.
Students learn about basic design, theory, manual and computer-aided drawing in the First year.
The Second year programme introduces them to small scaled buildings, building science and services, building construction and technology.
The Third year emphasizes on more complex, mid-rise building development, which integrates environmental sciences, structure, building services, construction and theory into the studio projects.
The Bachelor of Science (Honours) Architecture programme is a recognized first tier of the two-tiers professional architecture education, complying to the Lembaga Arkitek Malaysia (LAM) Part I requirements. Students who complete this first-tier undergraduate programme can pursue the second-tier - Masters in Architecture (LAM Part II) degree to complete the five-year professional architecture training.
Student Centered Learning
The programme emphasizes on the balance between theories and hands-on experiences. Through design studios and other integrated projects, students are involved in wide-range learning experiences where each individual is encouraged to develop his/her own creativity in finding solution to problem.
Good Facilities and Resources
Our architecture studio spaces are conducive with allocation of minimum individual working space of 2.5sqm. each with a drafting table and storage facilities. The programme is supported with a well-resourced library and online resources. The wet and dry workshops are equipped with sufficient equipment and qualified assistants.
Well Balanced Academic Team
The programme comprises of a good mix of professional architects as well as academic researchers ensuring the sound integration of fundamental theoretical knowledge with up-to-date industry know-hows.
Well-Proportioned Ratios of Lecturers to Students
The LAM guideline of staff to student ratio of 1:15 in design studios are strictly adhered to, while for other studio based subjects such as Drawing I and II, a ratio of 1:20 is applied.
Architectural study tours and field excursions are held every trimester enabling students to visit various significant buildings and sites in Malaysia and overseas. Our students have visited Sri Lanka, Bali, Cambodia, Guilin, Yunnan, Myanmar, Singapore and Taiwan besides many local notable locations in Malaysia.
- Assistant Architect
- Project Administrator
- Architecture Designer
- Project Developer
- Architectural Design I
- Architectural Design II
- Architectural Studio Drawing I
- Architectural Studio Drawing II
- Building Materials
- Building Science I
- Building Services I
- Construction Technology I
- Construction Technology II
- History of Architecture I
- History of Architecture II
- Introduction to Architectural Theory
- National Language/Other Languages
- Architectural Design III
- Architectural Design IV
- Architectural Field Study
- Building Science II
- Building Services II
- Building Structural System
- Construction Technology III
- Design Communication & CADD
- English for Professionals
- Structural Analysis
- Architectural Design V
- Architectural Design VI
- Asian Architecture
- Construction Drawings
- Elective I
- Industrial Training
- Introduction to Professional Practice
- Sun Zi's Art of War and Business Strategies
Elective I - Choose 1 course
- Design and Spatial Behavior
- Management Principles
- Public Speaking and Oral Presentation
MPU I* - Choose 1 course
- Hubungan Etnik - For Local Students
- Malaysian Studies 3 - For International Students
MPU 1** - Choose 1 course
- Bahasa Melayu Komunikasi 2 - For International Students
- Tamadun Islam dan Tamadun Asia (TITAS) - For Local Students
National Language/Other Language - Choose 1 course
- Bahasa Kebangsaan (A) - For Malaysian only, without SPM-BM credit
- Communication Tamil For Health Sciences
- Introduction to French
- Introduction to German Language
- Introduction to Japanese
- Introduction to Korean
- Introduction to Tamil Language
- Introduction to Thai Language
Co-curriculum - Choose 1 course
- Art, Craft, and Design
- Arts and Cultural Performance
- Community Project
- Critical Thinking, Creative Thinking and Problem Solving
- Language, Culture and Social Study Abroad
- Leadership and Teambuilding
- Managing Personal Finance
- Management of Martial Arts Activity
- Management of Sports Activity
- Music Performance
- Oral Communication
- Social Entrepreneurship Project
- Study Soft Skills and/or Life Skills Abroad
- Team Work and Collaborative Project
- Work Ethics and EQ
- Sijil Tinggi Persekolahan Malaysia (STPM)
- Unified Examination Certificate (UEC)
- South Australian Matriculation (SAM)
- Canadian Pre-University (CPU)