Overview of Doctor of Philosophy Computer Science in International University of Malaya Wales Malaysia
Our Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) in Computer Science is a full research programme aimed to nurture scholarly graduates who are ready to become critical analytic researchers, academicians, consultants, specialists, entrepreneurs and top level managers equipped with in-depth expertise and research skills.
Our PhD programme is designed to hone graduates who are innovative and impeccably knowledgeable in the area of computer science particularly in artificial intelligence, machine learning, evolutionary computation and Big Data science. In line with the principles of entrepreneurship, innovation and sustainability, the programme is engineered to provide a holistic platform for individual success and professional development through high-quality research training and prudent guidance.
- Master's degree accepted by the University Senate and must have at least first degree (Master’s Degree or Bachelor’s Degree) in computing or other qualifications as approved by the University Senate.
- Master's degree accepted by the University Senate and must have at least first degree (Master’s Degree or Bachelor’s Degree) in computing and pass IELTS with minimum band 6 or equivalent.
English Competency Requirements
All international students are bound to the English Competency requirement set by the University and the Malaysian Qualification Agency except those who are:
- From countries where English is the official language; OR
- From an academic institution which uses English as its main medium of instruction.
Coursework (Two core courses)
- Research Process and Academic Writing
- Research Design and Methodology
- Each student must present and defend his/her PhD research proposal. The student is only allowed to continue with his/her research to Phase Ill on passing of the defence of his/her proposal
Data Collection and Thesis Preparation
- The student proceeds to his/her data collection, data analysis and thesis writing
- After submitting the thesis, the students is required to attend a Viva Voce to defend his/her.
Phd candidates are required to attend lectures/seminars for; Research Process and Academic Writing, and Research Design and Methodology. PhD candidates are expected to demonstrate their understanding through several forms of assessments, including critical review of published articles, research colloquium, proposal defence and research project (thesis writing) with viva voce.
The minimum and maximum period of studies are as follows: