Overview of Dip. Aquaculture With Entrepreneurship in UCSI University Malaysia
Aquaculture is the farming of aquatic organisms – fish, crusta-ceans, mollusks, and even plants. It has been touted as a good alternative to commercial fishing for providing food and livelihood.
In many developing countries fish and other aquaculture products serve as the main source of cheap protein to combat malnutrition and under nutrition; fish having essential amino acids which are often lacking in cereal protein substitutes.
The Diploma in Aquaculture with Entrepreneurship enhances the scientific understanding of various aquatic farming activities ranging from fish, shellfish, ornamental fish and corals to seaweed cultivation. In ensuring students have an edge after graduation; this programme integrates the scientific aspects of aquaculture with the business aspects thus enabling students to venture into commercial activities such as business and entrepreneurship.
Entry Requirements of Dip. Aquaculture With Entrepreneurship in UCSI University Malaysia
Minimum 3 credits, inclusive of Mathematics and 1 science subject
Minimum grades of B in 3 subjects, inclusive of Mathematics and 1 science subject
Minimum CGPA 2.0
*To be reviewed by the University on a case-to-case basis.
Note / Legend:
Discretion is given to the Head of School to deal with applicants who have results borderline to the Academic Requirements.
SPM – Credit (A+ – C)
UEC – Credit (A1 – B6)
O-Level – min. Credit (A1 – C6)
WAEC – min. Credit (A1 – C6)
STPM – min. Principal – ‘C’ grade (GPA 2.00)
A-levels – min. Principal – ‘E’ grade (GPA 2.00)
SAM/CPU – min. Pass – 50%
English Language Requirements for International Students
- A minimum score of 4.0 in IELTS OR
- Band 2 in MUET OR
- A minimum score of 30-31 in TOEFL iBT OR
- A minimum score of 36 in Pearson Test of English OR
- A minimum score of 140 in Cambridge English Qualification and Tests OR
- English as a medium of instruction letter.
- In the event that the English Language Requirements are not met, student may be required to undertake additional English module(s) prior to or concurrently with the undergraduate programme, based on the University’s decision.
Courses offered of Dip. Aquaculture With Entrepreneurship in UCSI University Malaysia
- Fundamentals of Management
- Fundamentals of Chemistry
- Introduction to Internet Technology
- Business Communication for Diploma
- Malaysian Studies (for Local students) (MPU1) / Bahasa Melayu Komunikasi 2 (for International students) (MPU1)
- Extra-curricular Learning Experience I (MPU4)
- Aquatic Ecosystems and Environmental Management
- Aquatic Biology
- Fundamentals of Microbiology
- Business Essentials
- Introduction to Information Technology
- Principles of Accounting
- Co-Operative Placement 1
- Entrepreneurship (MPU2)
- Basic and Practices of Marketing
- Aquaculture Facility Selection and Design
- Water Quality and Analysis
- Extra-curricular Learning Experience II (MPU4)
- Malaysian Eco-Tourism / Malaysian Traditional Food (MPU3)
- Introduction to Biological Research and Analysis
- Operational Management for Aquaculture
- Aquatic Health and Diseases
- Management of Water Systems
- Aquatic Biodiversity and Conservation
- Logistics Business Strategy & Planning
- Brood-stock Management for Aquaculture
- Co-Operative Placement 2
General Courses (MPU) are compulsory for all students.
– For Malaysian students:
- Malaysian Studies
– For foreign students:
- Communication in Bahasa Melayu 2