Course of Bachelor of Business (Hospitality Management) (Hons) in HELP University Malaysia
The hospitality industry encompasses a diversity of fields within the service industry, including hotels, resorts, restaurants, event planning, theme parks and others from the tourism industry. Hospitality Management not only concerns accommodation and food and beverage services, but it also covers areas like meetings and events, gaming, entertainment and recreation, tourism services and visitor information.
In such a broad-based industry, career opportunities are extensive. As the hotel and hospitality industry moves increasingly from a skill-based to a knowledge-based industry, higher learning has become increasingly critical to opening career doors and helping managers to be more fully attuned to the culture, services and competitive aspects of the sector
Hospitality Management is a vibrant, challenging and exotic career. Graduates can find employment in casinos, hotels, restaurants, convention centres and special event management companies, so this programme is ideal for people who are mobile, free-spirited and eager for new experiences and cultures. This major delves into international hotel operations management, technological applications in hospitality management and large scale services management, as well as small business operations.
Personal and professional development in a career without borders
Welcome to the School of Hospitality and Tourism, HELP University.
The Hospitality and Tourism industry will witness unprecedented growth worldwide as a consequence of globalisation and social and cultural liberalisation.
A degree in Hospitality and Tourism Management is a passport to the entire globe.
Skills shortages are well recognised and the industry is in critical need of more managerial level hospitality and tourism professionals.
The HELP Hospitality and Tourism programme explores the industry from a social, economic and environmental perspective and equips students with a wide range of knowledge and skills to meet the requirements of an industry governed by increasingly high standards and sophistication.
Our graduates are equipped with professional skills to provide distinctive services and manage hospitality and tourism products, facilities and resources to global standards. The programme incorporates diverse areas such as tourism strategy and planning, tourism systems analysis, sustainable tourism and hospitality practices, global destination competitiveness, economic decision-making in hospitality, cultural values and tourism trends, sustainability and marketing.
Candidates have access to internship placements in top-class establishments and destinations made available through HELP University’s global network of partners and associates like Sheng Tai International. This enhances their job prospects due to the quality of training that often exceeds international standards and expectations.
At HELP, our history comes with many years of accumulated knowledge and experience in delivering world-class hospitality and tourism courses.
Empowered with a global outlook, our candidates also gain versatility and competencies through immersion in extracurricular programmes organized in collaboration with government agencies and prominent hotels, resorts, F&B outlets and tour operators.
The candidates’ leadership and management capability is further enhanced by the opportunity for them to plan, organise and implement a study tour to a major destination in Asia that is an essential component of the Hospitality and Tourism curriculum at HELP.
On campus, candidates can look forward to a vibrant student life and form friendship networks with students from over 30 countries. Candidates can participate in any of the university’s 40 clubs and societies catering to a wide range of interests and recreations and providing unlimited opportunities for personal and soft-skills development.
- Head, School of Hospitality and Tourism
Programme Details of Bachelor of Business (Hospitality Management) (Hons) in HELP University Malaysia
3-year honours programme
31 subjects including a graduation project
14 weeks for full semester; 7 weeks for half semester
Subject of Bachelor of Business (Hospitality Management) (Hons) in HELP University Malaysia
8 COMPULSORY SUBJECTS
- ACC101 Financial Accounting 1
- ACC103 Management Accounting 1
- ECO101 Principles of Microeconomics
- ITC101 Information Technology for Business
- LAW101 Business Law
- MKT101 Principles of Marketing
- QBM101 Business Statistics
- TRM101 Principles of Management for Hospitality & Tourism
YEAR 2 & 3
16 COMPULSORY SUBJECTS
- FIN202 Financial Management
- MGT204 Asian Entrepreneurship & Innovation
- TRM200 Introduction to Tourism, Leisure & Hospitality Management
- TRM202 Organisational Behaviour for Service Industry
- TRM204 Human Resource Management for the Hospitality and Tourism Industry
- TRM211 Hotel Operations Management
- TRM213 Hospitality Small Business Operations
- TRM214 Accommodation Operation Management
- TRM304 Research Methodology for Hospitality Industry
- TRM305 Leadership & Management in Hospitality Industry
- TRM312 Services Management in Hospitality
- TRM313 Culinary and Restaurant Management
- TRM320 Industry Placement Practicum
- TRM321 Strategic Customer Care in Hospitality & Tourism
- TRM323 Contemporary Issues in the Hospitality and Tourism Industry
- TRM400 Graduation Project
2 ELECTIVE SUBJECTS
CHOOSE 1 ELECTIVE FROM THE FOLLOWING
- TRM205 Introduction to Kitchen Operations and Food and Beverage Services
- MGT212 Business Analytics for Decision Making (strongly recommended)
- TRM207 Room Division Management1 free elective from Year 2 or Year 3
- All students are required to complete a graduation project in hospitality management or related areas under supervision.
5 COMPULSORY MPU SUBJECTS
MPU1 (CHOOSE 2 SUBJECTS)
- MPU3113 Hubungan Etnik(Malaysian students)
- MPU3123 Tamadun Islam dan Tamadun Asia(Malaysian students)
- MPU3143 Bahasa Melayu Komunikasi 2(International students)
- MPU3173 Pengajian Malaysia 3(International students)
MPU2 (CHOOSE 1)
- MPU3213 Bahasa Kebangsaan A (for Malaysian students without a credit in SPM Bahasa Melayu)
- MPU3233 Leadership in Business
- MPU3234 Personal Branding and Career Management
MPU3 (CHOOSE 1)
- MPU3313 Comparative Ethics for Malaysia
- MPU3323 Malaysian Constitution
- MPU3333 Malaysian Digital Transformation
- MPU3343 Career Pathways in the field of Behavioural Sciences in Malaysia
- MPU3353 Personal Financial Planning in Malaysia
- MPU3373 Goods & Services Tax in Malaysia
MPU4 (CHOOSE 1)
- MPU3412 Co-curriculum – Sport 2
- MPU3422 Co-curriculum – Community Service 2
- MPU3432 Co-curriculum-Event Management 2
Assessment of Bachelor of Business (Hospitality Management) (Hons) in HELP University Malaysia
MOST SUBJECTS FOLLOW THE ASSESSMENT PATTERN BELOW:
- Continuous assessment – 40%
- Final examination – 60%
- Total – 100%