Overview of BACHELOR OF GEOGRAPHY in University of Malaya UM Malaysia
It is a common misconception that geography is about “what is where”. Although geography does primarily deal with physical analysis of a location, it also provides explanation of why the phenomenon is there. Geography, in short, answers the question “why what is where”. Geography emphasizes the locational analysis of human activities and their relationships with the environment. These interactions of different systems are not often studied together, except within geography.
The programme offered reflects the multidisciplinary nature of Geography. Students have the opportunity to study their subject matter in a number of different areas including: Biogeography, Cultural and Historical Geography, Economic Geography, Environment and Resource Management, Geographic Information Systems, Remote Sensing, Transportation Geography, Physical Geography, Social Geography, and Urban Geography.
- City Infrastructure Planner
- Humanitarian Aid Officer
- Human Resource Planner
- Public Transportation & Roadways Manager
- Zoning Committee Advisor
- Town and Country Planner
- Environmental Consultant
- Area Study Specialist
- Human Resource Planner
- Public Transportation Management and Planning
- Management positions in the water sector
A Malaysian candidate who wishes to pursue a programme of study at the University of Malaya must fulfill the University's entry requirements as follows:
(1) Pass the Sijil Pelajaran Malaysia (SPM) with a credit (Grade C) in Bahasa Melayu/Bahasa Malaysia subject
a credit (Grade C) in Bahasa Melayu/Bahasa Malaysia July papers and pass in History (SPM 2013 and above);
(2) Achieve a minimum Band in the Malaysian University English Test (MUET) as required in special requirements of the programme.
(3) Have fulfilled all special requirements of the programme as may be prescribed by the Senate
• National Higher School Certificate (or an Advanced Level equivalent) with the percentage of 80% and above
• A Diploma from recognized Institutions with at least a CGPA of 3.00.
• Applicant may be required to undergo an interview session for certain selected programmes before being accepted by the respective faculties.
ENGLISH LANGUAGE REQUIREMENTS
Students must obtain:
• TOEFL score of 500 (PBT), 173 (CBT) or 60 (IBT) and above
• IELTS Band 5.0 - 6.5 and above Without any of the above English proficiency certificates, students that have been accepted would be issued with a conditional offer letter for subsequent fulfillment of the English language requirements.
Applications must be submitted online at apply.um.edu.my
• For the latest English Language Requirements please refer here