Overview of BACHELOR OF SCIENCE IN GENETICS in University of Malaya UM Malaysia
1. Produce graduates who possess strong basic knowledge in Genetics and Molecular Biology to be applied in various fields and can contribute to the development of the nation and to sustainable human and environmental development in an ethical and professional manner,
2. Produce graduates skilled in commonly used molecular biology techniques who are able to design and develop research in the field of genetics, molecular biology and related areas, for example biotechnology,
3. Produce graduates in Genetics and Molecular Biology that are highly qualified, broadminded, and posses the knowledge and skills required to join the life science and biotechnology industries, including agricultural, medical, fishery, industrial and pharmaceutical sectors, and are capable of developing and implementing various projects,
4. Produce graduates in the field of Genetics and Molecular Biology that are highly competitive for continued learning to an advanced degree level in the field of life sciences in higher learning institutions worldwide
Genetics and Molecular Biology graduates could either choose the path of becoming academicians or scientists by furthering their studies at Master’s and/or PhD levels; or venturing into other professions (among others):
i) Research/ Scientific officer (governmental/private agencies)
ii) Lab technician
iii) Plant/animal breeder (molecular-based breeding)
iv) High school educator
v) Sales and marketing of scientific tools and appliances
vi) Managers (government or private agencies)
vii) Biosafety officer
A Malaysian candidate who wishes to pursue a programme of study at the University of Malaya must fulfill the University's entry requirements as follows:
(1) Pass the Sijil Pelajaran Malaysia (SPM) with a credit (Grade C) in Bahasa Melayu/Bahasa Malaysia subject
a credit (Grade C) in Bahasa Melayu/Bahasa Malaysia July papers and pass in History (SPM 2013 and above);
(2) Achieve a minimum Band in the Malaysian University English Test (MUET) as required in special requirements of the programme.
(3) Have fulfilled all special requirements of the programme as may be prescribed by the Senate
• National Higher School Certificate (or an Advanced Level equivalent) with the percentage of 80% and above
• A Diploma from recognized Institutions with at least a CGPA of 3.00.
• Applicant may be required to undergo an interview session for certain selected programmes before being accepted by the respective faculties.
ENGLISH LANGUAGE REQUIREMENTS
Students must obtain:
• TOEFL score of 500 (PBT), 173 (CBT) or 60 (IBT) and above
• IELTS Band 5.0 - 6.5 and above Without any of the above English proficiency certificates, students that have been accepted would be issued with a conditional offer letter for subsequent fulfillment of the English language requirements.
Applications must be submitted online at apply.um.edu.my
• For the latest English Language Requirements please refer here