|Malaysian- April for Semester I intake, International --June for Semester I intake and November for Semester II intake|
The Bioinformatics teaching/training initiatives in the University of Malaya, Kuala Lumpur was initiated in 1998 through collaboration among academics from various disciplines in the university.
Before that, in late 1980s , several academics in the biological departments have been teaching various IT related biology courses within biology programmes such as:-
1989 - Student project "Computer analysis of chromosome morphology in the Commelinaceae"
1995 - Student project "Image analysis of polytene chromosome banding patterns"
1994 - SN334 Instrumentation and Computer Programming
1996 - SNES3102 Biocomputing
1998 - STES3104 Computing and Bioinformation
1998 - STES3102 Electronics in Biology
The University Senate approved the introduction of a new and innovative BSc (Bioinformatics) degree programme on 7 April 1999, followed by the Ministry of Education on the 22nd. October 1999.
The programme started with 15 undergraduates majoring in Bioinformatics in 1999.
National Higher School Certificate (or an Advanced Level equivalent) with the percentage of 80% and above
• A Diploma from recognized Institutions with at least a CGPA of 3.00.
• Applicant may be required to undergo an interview session for certain selected programmes before being accepted by the respective faculties.
ENGLISH LANGUAGE REQUIREMENTS
Students must obtain:
• TOEFL score of 500 (PBT), 173 (CBT) or 60 (IBT) and above
• IELTS Band 5.0 - 6.5 and above Without any of the above English proficiency certificates, students that have been accepted would be issued with a conditional offer letter for subsequent fulfillment of the English language requirements.
Applications must be submitted online at apply.um.edu.my
• For the latest English Language Requirements please refer here
Don't have an account? Create your account. It's take less then a minutes