|Study Mode||FULL TIME|
|Intake||alaysian- April for Semester I intake,Internationa Malaysian- April for Semester I intake,Internatio|
The Department of Chemistry is the larges department in the Faculty of Science. The Department started operation in the academic year 1959/1960 and is on of the oldest departments in the faculty. The Department is the first institution of higher learning in Malaysia to receive the prestigious Royal Society Chemistry, UK accreditation for its BSc (Chemistry) and BSc (Applied Chemistry) programme since 2012. One of the objectives of the Department id to provide a centre of excellence in chemical education and research in Malaysia. Students from the Department are trained to develop their critical, creative and innovative thinking. The Department is proud to produce graduates who are highly regarded and much sought after in the work force market. Presently, the Department has 49 academic staffs, several of them from abroad, and 1 Emeritus Professor. Apart from teaching at both undergraduate and postgraduate degree levels, the staffs also conduct quality research in fundamental and applied chemistry. Although the academic staffs have different research interest, they adhere to the same philosophy in solving chemical-related problems and in the development of expertise in chemistry. In addition to the undergraduate programme, the department also offers MSc by research and coursework, and PhD programmes. Since the establishment, the department has produced many MSc and PhD graduates who assume high positions in both government and private organization locally and internationally.
Courses offered by the department meet the current requirements to accommodate job and career advancement. Chemistry is recognised as a professional field by Malaysian Institute of Chemistry and to date, our chemistry graduates have filled the job market in both public and private sectors. Job opportunities are available in basic research and development areas in research institutions such as FRIM, SIRIM, MARDI, Petronas, MPOB and IMR. In addition, graduates are employed in the teaching profession in schools, colleges and universities. Career opportunities are also available in the chemical and manufacturing industries, oil and gas industries, petrochemicals, energy and fuel industries, polymer and materials, electronics, sales and marketing, and new growth areas of green and sustainable technologies
• National Higher School Certificate (or an Advanced Level equivalent) with the percentage of 80% and above
• A Diploma from recognized Institutions with at least a CGPA of 3.00.
• Applicant may be required to undergo an interview session for certain selected programmes before being accepted by the respective faculties.
ENGLISH LANGUAGE REQUIREMENTS
Students must obtain:
• TOEFL score of 500 (PBT), 173 (CBT) or 60 (IBT) and above
• IELTS Band 5.0 - 6.5 and above Without any of the above English proficiency certificates, students that have been accepted would be issued with a conditional offer letter for subsequent fulfillment of the English language requirements.
Applications must be submitted online at apply.um.edu.my
• For the latest English Language Requirements please refer here