The Biomedical Science Programme spans a minimum period of 4 years. Initially, students are provided with a broad based knowledge of basic medical sciences such as Biochemistry, Physiology and Anatomy, allowing students the opportunity to acquire basic medical laboratory skills. Subsequently students proceed to the specific study of medical laboratory disciplines such as Anatomic Pathology, Histopathology, Haematology, Medical Genetics, Chemical Pathology, Medical Microbiology, Parasitology, Medical Physiology and Pharmacology.
Students will learn the principles underlying the various analytical methods and investigatory procedures used in laboratory medicine, and obtain practical training to consolidate theoretical instruction. A strong hands-on training in diagnostic laboratory techniques in the above mentioned disciplines, including Blood Transfusion Technology and Phlebotomy will be provided. In addition, emphasis is given to inculcating soft skills such as critical thinking, bioethics and communication skills. Furthermore, students are trained in research methodologies exposed to emerging fields in Biomedical Science as they will be carrying out research projects of their own design during final year.
Successful graduates in biomedical science should be able to assume responsible positions in the following situations: (1) as part of a healthcare team that is concerned with the care of patients and/or with basic and applied clinical research; (2) as part of a research team in allied medical disciplines, public health, biotechnology, food and pharmaceutical industries. Career opportunities are wide ranging and include employment in clinical laboratory service departments, teaching institutions, and research centres in public as well as private sectors. Post-graduate training is strongly encouraged, either within the country or abroad, all towards attaining the goal of heightening the quality of science and medicine.
This course is open to Malaysian and International applicants. Click here for a flowchart of the admission process for Biomedical Science programme.
• A Diploma from recognized Institutions with at least a CGPA of 3.00.
• Applicant may be required to undergo an interview session for certain selected programmes before being accepted by the respective faculties.
ENGLISH LANGUAGE REQUIREMENTS
Students must obtain:
• TOEFL score of 500 (PBT), 173 (CBT) or 60 (IBT) and above
• IELTS Band 5.0 - 6.5 and above Without any of the above English proficiency certificates, students that have been accepted would be issued with a conditional offer letter for subsequent fulfillment of the English language requirements.
Applications must be submitted online at apply.um.edu.my
• For the latest English Language Requirements please refer here