Overview of BACHELOR OF ARTS INDIAN STUDIES in University of Malaya UM Malaysia
The programme aims to introduce the linguistics, literature, religious and socio-cultural heritage of the Indian community in an academic manner that will benefit the nation as a whole. It also targets to showcase the historical, socio-political and economic aspects of the Indian community in Malaysia.
The student will cover subjects ranging from Tamil grammar and literature to the in-depth probe into the Indian culture and civilization. The programme hopes to expose the students to the finer elements of Indian culture and values. Besides that, students can also discover Indian Philosophy and ethics that will undoubtedly equip them to fully understand the Indian community thus enabling them to function well within the society.
- Cultural Guide
- Cultural Historian
- Social Rights Advocate
A Malaysian candidate who wishes to pursue a programme of study at the University of Malaya must fulfill the University's entry requirements as follows:
(1) Pass the Sijil Pelajaran Malaysia (SPM) with a credit (Grade C) in Bahasa Melayu/Bahasa Malaysia subject
a credit (Grade C) in Bahasa Melayu/Bahasa Malaysia July papers and pass in History (SPM 2013 and above);
(2) Achieve a minimum Band in the Malaysian University English Test (MUET) as required in special requirements of the programme.
(3) Have fulfilled all special requirements of the programme as may be prescribed by the Senate
- National Higher School Certificate (or an Advanced Level equivalent) with the percentage of 80% and above
• A Diploma from recognized Institutions with at least a CGPA of 3.00.
• Applicant may be required to undergo an interview session for certain selected programmes before being accepted by the respective faculties.
ENGLISH LANGUAGE REQUIREMENTS
Students must obtain:
• TOEFL score of 500 (PBT), 173 (CBT) or 60 (IBT) and above
• IELTS Band 5.0 - 6.5 and above Without any of the above English proficiency certificates, students that have been accepted would be issued with a conditional offer letter for subsequent fulfillment of the English language requirements.
Applications must be submitted online at apply.um.edu.my
• For the latest English Language Requirements please refer here