Faculty of Science and Technology (FST), Universiti Sains Islam Malaysia (USIM) offers a Master of Science (Risk Management) Program through mixed mode.
The main objective of the Master of Science in Risk Management Program is to produce graduates who are knowledgeable, skilled and capable of integrating scientific knowledge of mathematics, statistics, economics, finance and computing techniques to the study of Risk Management.
This program aims to provide guidance and develop skills so that students will be more competent and confident in managing risk by using an integrated approach. This approach will enable students to better understand the decision making process and the factors that influence the decision making process.
OBJECTIVES OF THE PROGRAMME
The Master of Science in Risk Management Program strives to achieve the following objectives:
- To produce graduates who are able to combine and use the knowledge and experience of studies in the field of Risk Management for producing quality research in addition to providing the best services to government agencies, educational sector, research organizations and various industries, such as finance, banking, takaful, insurance and investment in the local or global level
- To produce graduates who are able to lead and engage in teamwork to solve problems and be able to contribute new knowledge within or outside the field of science with the ability to communicate effectively
- To produce graduates who are always trying to improve their knowledge and abilities by utilizing ICT to generate business opportunities in the education sector, research organizations and various industries, such as finance, banking, takaful, insurance and investments at the local level or globally.
- Produce graduates who practice ethical values and professional in providing services to the education sector, research organizations and various industries, such as finance, banking, takaful, insurance and investments at the local level or globally
- A relevant bachelor’s degree with honours with a minimum CGPA of 2.75/4.00 or equivalent from the University or any other institutions of higher learning recognised by the Senate; or
- Other qualifications equivalent to a bachelor’s degree with honours AND relevant professional work experience; or
- A bachelor’s degree or equivalent with minimum CGPA of 2.50/4.00 and not meeting CGPA of 2.75/4.00, can be accepted subject to rigorous internal assessment; or
- In case the CGPA does not meet the requirement of 2.50/4.00, the selection will subject to a minimum of 5 years working experience in relevant field.
- The number of credit hours for the relevant bachelor’s degree and advanced diploma shall be as follows: (a) bachelor’s degree ≥ 120 credit hours (b) advanced diploma ≥ 90 credit hours
Note: 1-year work experience is equivalent to 0.05 CGPA
ENGLISH LANGUAGE REQUIREMENTS
An applicant shall show evidence of proficiency in the English language based on the following criteria:
- TOEFL minimum score of 180 (computer-based) or 64 (internet-based); or
- IELTS minimum score of Band 5; or
- MUET minimum score of Band 3; or
- graduated from institutions that use English as the main medium of instruction, AND will be required to seat for University English Proficiency Test (UEPT) with minimum score of Band 3; or
- graduated in the field of Teaching of English as a Second Language (TESL), English Language Studies (ELS) and equivalent from a university recognised by the Senate; or
- a native speaker of English.
(2) Research-mode applicant who intends to write his/her thesis in Arabic will be required to fulfil the criteria as follows:
- TOEFL minimum score of 150 (computer-based) or 52 (internet-based); or
- IELTS minimum score of Band 4; or
- MUET minimum score of Band 2; or
- UEPT minimum score of Band 2.
(3) An applicant who does not fulfil any of the criteria under (1) & (2) will be allowed to register conditionally and is required to fulfil any of the criteria under (1) or (2), within 12 months (for Master’s students) and 24 months (for Ph.D. students).