- Faculty of Science and Technology (FST), Universiti Sains Islam Malaysia (USIM) offers a Master of Science (Food Biotechnology) Program through mixed mode.
- The main objective of the Master of Science in Food Biotechnology Program is to produce graduates who are knowledgeable, skilled and capable of integrating scientific knowledge in Biology Science and Food Technology.
- This programme aims to provide students with sound knowledge in order to pursue careers in the food related industry.
OBJECTIVES OF THE PROGRAMME
The main objective of the Master of Science (Food Biotechnology) Program is to produce graduates who are knowledgeable, skillful and able to integrate knowledge of Biology Science and food technology which take into account ethical and social responsibility.
Therefore, the Master of Science (Food Biotechnology) Program strives to achieve the goals or objectives as follows:
- To produce graduates who are able to combine and use knowledge and skills in the field of food biotechnology to provide the best services to the food industry, government agencies, corporate sector and research organizations, locally or globally.
- To produce graduates who are able to lead and engage in teamwork to solve problems and to contribute new knowledge within or outside the scope of knowledge through the ability to communicate effectively.
- To produce graduates who continually strive to improve self knowledge and ability to maximize on ICT in order to produce financial products, business opportunities and investments for local or global stage.
- To produce graduates who practice ethical values and are professional in providing services to the food industry, government agencies, research organizations as well as to have the awareness of hazard and biosafety issues.
- A relevant bachelor’s degree with honours with a minimum CGPA of 2.75/4.00 or equivalent from the University or any other institutions of higher learning recognised by the Senate; or
- Other qualifications equivalent to a bachelor’s degree with honours AND relevant professional work experience; or
- A bachelor’s degree or equivalent with minimum CGPA of 2.50/4.00 and not meeting CGPA of 2.75/4.00, can be accepted subject to rigorous internal assessment; or
- In case the CGPA does not meet the requirement of 2.50/4.00, the selection will subject to a minimum of 5 years working experience in relevant field.
- The number of credit hours for the relevant bachelor’s degree and advanced diploma shall be as follows: (a) bachelor’s degree ≥ 120 credit hours (b) advanced diploma ≥ 90 credit hours
Note: 1-year work experience is equivalent to 0.05 CGPA
ENGLISH LANGUAGE REQUIREMENTS
An applicant shall show evidence of proficiency in the English language based on the following criteria:
- TOEFL minimum score of 180 (computer-based) or 64 (internet-based); or
- IELTS minimum score of Band 5; or
- MUET minimum score of Band 3; or
- graduated from institutions that use English as the main medium of instruction, AND will be required to seat for University English Proficiency Test (UEPT) with minimum score of Band 3; or
- graduated in the field of Teaching of English as a Second Language (TESL), English Language Studies (ELS) and equivalent from a university recognised by the Senate; or
- a native speaker of English.
(2) Research-mode applicant who intends to write his/her thesis in Arabic will be required to fulfil the criteria as follows:
- TOEFL minimum score of 150 (computer-based) or 52 (internet-based); or
- IELTS minimum score of Band 4; or
- MUET minimum score of Band 2; or
- UEPT minimum score of Band 2.
(3) An applicant who does not fulfil any of the criteria under (1) & (2) will be allowed to register conditionally and is required to fulfil any of the criteria under (1) or (2), within 12 months (for Master’s students) and 24 months (for Ph.D. students).