Master of Actuarial Science Programme aims to provide guidance and develop skills so that students will be more competent and confident in Actuarial Science by using an integrated approach. This approach will enable students to better understand the decision-making process and the factors that influence the decision-making process. Indirectly, it can give input in assessing existing processes towards better Actuarial Science. The programme is offered in Faculty Science and Technology (FST) with duration of three to six semesters inclusive of 22 credit hours for coursework and 21 credit hours for thesis.
OBJECTIVE OF THE PROGRAMMES
The following are the objectives of this programme:
- Have knowledge in Actuarial Science and Risk Management for the sake of strengthening Islamic education. (LO1)
- Have the technical skills and be able to think critically and solve complex problems in multi-language communication in a scientific and logical. (LO2, MLO3, LO4)
- Having a good leadership and competent and have a strong personality in fulfilling social responsibility. (LO5, LO7, LO9)
- Ability to manage information systems competitively in order to assist countries in dealing with the affairs of Islamic finance, trade, investment, takaful, international marketing and globalization. (LO6, LO8)
- Has the entrepreneurial and able to contribute in the field of science and mathematics in order to improve the economic status of Muslims at the national level. (LO8)
- A relevant bachelor’s degree with honours with a minimum CGPA of 2.75/4.00 or equivalent from the University or any other institutions of higher learning recognised by the Senate; or
- Other qualifications equivalent to a bachelor’s degree with honours AND relevant professional work experience; or
- A bachelor’s degree or equivalent with minimum CGPA of 2.50/4.00 and not meeting CGPA of 2.75/4.00, can be accepted subject to rigorous internal assessment; or
- In case the CGPA does not meet the requirement of 2.50/4.00, the selection will subject to a minimum of 5 years working experience in relevant field.
- The number of credit hours for the relevant bachelor’s degree and advanced diploma shall be as follows: (a) bachelor’s degree ≥ 120 credit hours (b) advanced diploma ≥ 90 credit hours
Note: 1-year work experience is equivalent to 0.05 CGPA
ENGLISH LANGUAGE REQUIREMENTS
An applicant shall show evidence of proficiency in the English language based on the following criteria:
- TOEFL minimum score of 180 (computer-based) or 64 (internet-based); or
- IELTS minimum score of Band 5; or
- MUET minimum score of Band 3; or
- graduated from institutions that use English as the main medium of instruction, AND will be required to seat for University English Proficiency Test (UEPT) with minimum score of Band 3; or
- graduated in the field of Teaching of English as a Second Language (TESL), English Language Studies (ELS) and equivalent from a university recognised by the Senate; or
- a native speaker of English.
(2) Research-mode applicant who intends to write his/her thesis in Arabic will be required to fulfil the criteria as follows:
- TOEFL minimum score of 150 (computer-based) or 52 (internet-based); or
- IELTS minimum score of Band 4; or
- MUET minimum score of Band 2; or
- UEPT minimum score of Band 2.
(3) An applicant who does not fulfil any of the criteria under (1) & (2) will be allowed to register conditionally and is required to fulfil any of the criteria under (1) or (2), within 12 months (for Master’s students) and 24 months (for Ph.D. students).