In line with the saying “Religion is advice giving”, the counselling program was introduced with the aim to help society in combating mental health issues in accordance to Islamic principles and teachings. Specifically, it refers to the collaborative effort between a counsellor and client in seeking cognitive and behavioral change.
Substance abuse counselling is a specialized counselling approach that is aimed to help individuals who are struggling with substance use, focusing primarily on illegal drug use. Substance abuse counselors focuses on addiction with the aim of helping clients in finding a path to recovery and remaining on that path for the remainder of their life.
Objectives of the Program
- Knowledgeable and skillful in providing substance abuse counselling to individuals, community and relevant agencies.
- Able to become an efficient team leader and team player through the use of effective communication skills.
- Able to understand a breath of knowlege in different technological uses to help discover different career opportunities and seek entrepreneurship opportunities.
- Help substance abuse clients to get the best available professional help that is in line with Islamic principles and values.
- A relevant bachelor’s degree with honours with a minimum CGPA of 2.50/4.00 or equivalent from the University or any other institutions of higher learning recognised by the Senate; or
- In case the CGPA does not meet the requirement of 2.50/4.00, the selection will subject to a minimum of 5 years working experience in relevant field.
- The number of credit hours for the relevant bachelor’s degree and advanced diploma shall be as follows: (a) bachelor’s degree ≥ 120 credit hours (b) advanced diploma ≥ 90 credit hours
Note: 1-year work experience is equivalent to 0.05 CGPA
ENGLISH LANGUAGE REQUIREMENTS
An applicant shall show evidence of proficiency in the English language based on the following criteria:
- TOEFL minimum score of 180 (computer-based) or 64 (internet-based); or
- IELTS minimum score of Band 5; or
- MUET minimum score of Band 3; or
- graduated from institutions that use English as the main medium of instruction, AND will be required to seat for University English Proficiency Test (UEPT) with minimum score of Band 3; or
- graduated in the field of Teaching of English as a Second Language (TESL), English Language Studies (ELS) and equivalent from a university recognised by the Senate; or
- a native speaker of English.
(2) Research-mode applicant who intends to write his/her thesis in Arabic will be required to fulfil the criteria as follows:
- TOEFL minimum score of 150 (computer-based) or 52 (internet-based); or
- IELTS minimum score of Band 4; or
- MUET minimum score of Band 2; or
- UEPT minimum score of Band 2.
(3) An applicant who does not fulfil any of the criteria under (1) & (2) will be allowed to register conditionally and is required to fulfil any of the criteria under (1) or (2), within 12 months (for Master’s students) and 24 months (for Ph.D. students).