Overview of Doctor of Philosophy in English Studies in University of Islamic Sciences Malaysia Malaysia
OBJECTIVES OF THE PROGRAMME
The main objective of the Doctor of Philosophy (English Studies) programme is to produce researchers who are skilled, knowledgeable, and are able to integrate the knowledge of English language into any aspect by considering the right ethics and social responsibility.
Thus, specific objectives are generated for the programme as follows:
- To produce researchers who are able to integrate and utilise the knowledge and skills in the English language to serve in related fields.
- To produce researchers who are able to lead and work in a team to find solutions to problems and contribute new knowledge to own or other fields through effective communication.
- To produce researchers who always strive to upgrade their knowledge and polish their skills by utilising ICT for research in related fields.
- To produce researchers who practise good ethics and professionalism in serving the stakeholders like educational institutions, universities and the community.
ENGLISH LANGUAGE REQUIREMENTS
An applicant shall show evidence of proficiency in the English language based on the following criteria:
- TOEFL minimum score of 180 (computer-based) or 64 (internet-based); or
- IELTS minimum score of Band 5; or
- MUET minimum score of Band 3; or
- graduated from institutions that use English as the main medium of instruction, AND will be required to seat for University English Proficiency Test (UEPT) with minimum score of Band 3; or
- graduated in the field of Teaching of English as a Second Language (TESL), English Language Studies (ELS) and equivalent from a university recognised by the Senate; or
- a native speaker of English.
(2) Research-mode applicant who intends to write his/her thesis in Arabic will be required to fulfil the criteria as follows:
- TOEFL minimum score of 150 (computer-based) or 52 (internet-based); or
- IELTS minimum score of Band 4; or
- MUET minimum score of Band 2; or
- UEPT minimum score of Band 2.
(3) An applicant who does not fulfil any of the criteria under (1) & (2) will be allowed to register conditionally and is required to fulfil any of the criteria under (1) or (2), within 12 months (for Master’s students) and 24 months (for Ph.D. students).