Overview of Bachelor of Electronic Engineering Technology Medical Electronics with Honours in Universiti Kuala Lumpur Malaysia
The need for more sophisticated medical equipment is expanding tremendously in parallel with the growing numbers of hospitals in Malaysia. In the absence of Medical Engineering Technologist, the situation will be dire. The Bachelor of Engineering Technology (Hons.) in Medical Electronics programme, offered by Universiti Kuala Lumpur, British Malaysian Institute (UniKL BMI), is one of the pioneering medical engineering technology programme introduced by a local technical university. The programme provides students with the unique opportunity to achieve understanding, knowledge, and skills in both electronics techniques and human physiology and enables them to make an immediate contribution in electronics and clinical aspects of their work.
- Acquired fundamental knowledge of the human system and various medical electronics fields such as in human physiology, medical physics, medical lasers, medical imaging, medical instrumentation, electronics in therapeutics and rehabilitation and electromechanical medical devices and telemedicine technology.
- Acquired understanding and skills in Plan Preventive Maintenance (PPM) including Equipment Safety Test (EST) on certain medical electronics equipment.
- Our Teaching Factory bridges pertinent maintenance training with academic learning to expose students to real industrial exposure.
- Acquired basic skills in constructing, testing and troubleshooting electronics circuits as part of the process in designing medical electronics equipment/device during labs and FYP.
- Our courses always update the students with the latest medical engineering technologies, especially in the areas of Diagnostic and Therapeutic, Bioinstrumentation and Medical Imaging.
- We offer an extensive coverage of some of the most popular engineering programmes, including Bioinstrumentation,
- Nano-engineering, Medical Imaging, and Rehabilitation Engineering until PhD level.
- We offer a limited session of optional Professional Certification in Electrical Safety Test to senior year students to create added values to their resumes.
Programme Educational Objectives (PEOs)
- PEO 1
UniKL graduates who are knowledgeable, competent, and innovative, which will contribute towards the requirement of human capital in Engineering Technology field.
- PEO 2
UniKL graduates who are effective leaders with teamwork skills, as well as verbal and non-verbal interpersonal communication skills to support their role in industry
- PEO 3
UniKL graduates who are committed towards the importance of lifelong learning and continuous improvement.
- PEO 4
UniKL graduates who are professional, ethical, and socially responsible
- PEO 5
UniKL graduates who are capable of embarking on business and technopreneurial activities.
Programme Learning Outcomes (PLOs)
Majors in engineering technology will be able to:
- PLO 1
Apply knowledge of mathematics, science, engineering fundamentals and Medical Engineering Technology to define and applied engineering procedures, processes, systems or methodologies.
- PLO 2
Identify, formulate, research literature and solve systematically broadly defined Medical Engineering problems reaching substantiated conclusions using analytical tools appropriate to electronic engineering discipline.
- PLO 3
Design solutions for broadly defined Medical Engineering Technology problem and contribute to the design of systems, components or processes to meet specified needs with appropriate consideration for public health and safety, cultural, societal, and environmental and sustainability.
- PLO 4
Plan and conduct experimental investigations of broadly defined Medical Engineering Technology problems using data from relevant sources.
- PLO 5
Select and apply appropriate techniques, resources and modern engineering tools, with an understanding of the limitations.
- PLO 6
Function effectively as an individual and as a member or leader in diverse technical teams.
- PLO 7
Communicate effectively with the engineering community and with society at large.
- PLO 8
Demonstrate awareness and consideration for societal, health, safety, legal and cultural issues and the consequent responsibilities and norms of engineering technology practice.
- PLO 9
Demonstrate an understanding of professional ethics, responsibilities and norms of engineering technology practice.
- PLO 10
Demonstrate the understanding of the impact of engineering practices, taking into account the need for sustainable development.
- PLO 11
Demonstrate an understanding of management, business practices and entrepreneurship.
- PLO 12
Recognize the need for professional development and engage in independent and lifelong learning.
Career Opportunities of Bachelor of Electronic Engineering Technology Medical Electronics with Honours in Universiti Kuala Lumpur Malaysia
The advancement in healthcare technologies has increased the demand for engineers who are responsible for designing, development, and maintenance of specialized biomedical instrumentation systems. Relatively, graduates with Bachelor of Engineering Technology (Hons.) in Medical Electronics shall be able to pursue careers as biomedical engineers, medical electronics engineers, or medical equipment specialists. The graduates shall also be employed as electrical or electronics engineers because they have the foundations in electrical and electronics engineering as well.
Upon completion, BET Medical Electronics Degree holders may register as an Engineering Technologist and join the industrial workforce in many sectors such as:
- Biomedical Engineers
- Medical Electronics Engineers
- Biomedical / Medical Electronics Technologist
- Medical Equipment Specialist
- Medical Electronics Sales Engineers/Representatives
- Customer Support Engineers
- Biomedical / Medical Electronics Technicians
- Electrical / Electronics Engineers
Entry Requirement of Bachelor of Electronic Engineering Technology Medical Electronics with Honours in Universiti Kuala Lumpur Malaysia
Student must complete 12 years of schooling and obtain general pass in their High School Certificate, A-levels or equivalent with min Grade C (60%) in Mathematics and one of the Science subjects (such as Physics, Chemistry or Biology – depending on the programme)
IELTS 5.0 or its equivalent