Overview of Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) in Swinburne University of Technology Malaysia
The candidate is expected to conduct independent research of high originality and quality; independently conceive of, design, conduct and complete a research project; develop a critical knowledge and understanding of the research area and methodological approaches; and communicate convincingly with relevant audiences.
A candidate must have completed at least four years (or equivalent) of tertiary education in a relevant discipline at a high level of achievement, and must have been approved for the award of the degree(s) in that discipline.
A high level of achievement is defined as the equivalent of a four year Swinburne Honours degree that includes a significant research component in the fourth year, leading to an Honours degree class 1n (average grade between 80-100) or Class 2Ab (average grade between 70-79) level.
Four years of tertiary studies can be demonstrated by the completion of any of the combinations of qualification below, at the required standard of achievement:
- a four year degree; or
- a three year degree and a Masters by
- a three year degree and an Honours year; or
- a three year degree and a Masters by Coursework that includes a research component with a duration of at least one semester full time (or part time equivalent)
ENGLISH LANGUAGE ENTRY REQUIREMENTS
Applicants must produce evidence of adequate language capability in written and spoken English through one of the following:
- obtain a minimum IELTS overall band of 6.5 (Academic Module) with no individual band below 6.0 or a TOEFL equivalent no longer than 24 months before submitting your application
- satisfactorily complete the Swinburne College English for Academic Purposes (EAP) Advanced level certificate at the postgraduate level (EAP 5: PG-70%)
- successfully complete a total of 24 months (full time equivalent) of formal study where the language of instruction and assessment was English at AQF level 7 or above (or equivalent) at an approved university no longer than 60 months before submitting your application.