Overview of Doctor of Philosophy Science in National University of Malaysia UKM Malaysia
Research mode programmes offered by the Faculty of Pharmacy emphasise on inter- and multidisciplinary research areas in pharmacy including, but not limited to, drug discovery, pharmaceutical product development, pharmacy education and quality management of medicine. These research-oriented programmes are, by nature, laboratory-based, a combination of laboratory- and survey-based, or survey-based in various areas of pharmacy such as:
Drug and Herbal Development: focuses on the identification of chemical leads from natural products for specific therapeutic efficacy leading to the development of new drug candidates against complex and challenging drug targets prior to clinical trials and evaluation of herbs and their products for quality, safety and efficacy as therapeutic agents.
Drug Delivery Technology: focuses on contemporary drug delivery issues in order to build rational strategies to drug design resulting in advanced drug delivery. These include acquiring knowledge of the physicochemical properties of traditional and biotechnology-based drug moieties as well as understanding the mechanisms of cellular uptake and transport across biological membranes.
Quality Management of Medicine (QMM): focuses on patterns of drug usage, efficacy of treatment regimens, adverse drug reaction reporting, health awareness, patient education, pharmacoeconomics, national medicines policy and its implementation.
- Submit a thesis not exceeding 100,000 words
- Pass viva voce examination
- At least TWO (2) journal articles accepted in WoS indexed journal
- Obtain a minimum of grade B for the Research Methodology course
- International students are required to pass Bahasa Melayu course
- A master’s degree accepted by the Senate
- Other relevant qualifications equivalent to a master’s degree that are accepted by the Senate
ENGLISH LANGUAGE REQUIREMENTS
- International candidates must meet the English language requirement set by the Faculty and University:
- IELTS: a minimum score of Band 6.0, OR
- TOEFL: a minimum score of 60, OR
- CEFR: a minimum level of mid B2, OR
- MUET: a minimum of Level 4 (Band 4), OR
- The Faculty may grant exemption to the conditions set forth above for international candidates from a country that uses English as their official language or who have academic qualifications obtained from any institution of higher learning that uses English as its medium of education.